By Ellen Hopkins
It's been a while since I've had a book recommendation for you guys!
I just finished reading this book last night and I found the ending to be really sad.
I've had my eye on books by Ellen Hopkins for a very long time but I was not ready for them 'til now.
As well as writing about difficult topics, Mrs. Hopkins writes in poetry form which I believe makes her words even more powerful.
Burned is a hard book to describe.
The back reads,
"I felt angry,
frustrated.
I felt like I didn't belong, not in my
church, not in my home,
not in my skin.
Raised in a religious-- yet abusive-- family, Pattyn Von Stratten starts asking questions-- about God, a woman's role, sex, love.
She experiences the first stirrings of passion, but when her father catches her in a compromising position, events spiral out of control.
Pattyn is sent to live with an aunt in the wilds of Nevada to find salvation and redemption.
What she finds instead is love and acceptance-- until she realizes that her old demons will not let her go."
Seventeen year old Pattyn is the eldest daughter in a large Mormon family who is sent off to live with her aunt in Nevada for the summer, temporarily escaping her alcoholic, abusive father.
While living with her aunt, she begins to find true love and acceptance only to lose it all when she returns home.
Please be warned that this book contains abusive behavior.
Other books by Ellen Hopkins include the best sellers Crank, Impulse and Glass.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment