Here's another book recommendation for you guys!
Drowning Instinct
by Ilsa J. Bick
I saw this book in the library the other day and once I read the inside cover, (it was a hardcover) I was hooked.
The main character in this book is a girl, Jenna Lord. Things aren't great in Jenna's family. Her dad is violent and her mom is a drunk.
The summary on the inside cover states:
"There are stories where the girl gets her prince, and they live happily ever after.
This is not one of those stories.
Jenna Lord's first sixteen years were not exactly a fairy tale. Her father is a controlling psycho and her mother is a drunk. She used to count on her older brother-- until he shipped off to Iraq. And then, of course, there was the time she almost died in a fire.
There are stories where the monster gets the girl, and everyone cries for his innocent victim.
This is not one of those stories either.
Mitch Anderson is many things: A dedicated teacher and coach. A caring husband. A man with a certain... magnetism.
And there are stories where it's hard to be sure who's a prince and who's a monster, who is a victim and who should live happily ever after.
These are the most interesting stories of all.
Drowning Instinct is a novel of pain, deception, desperation, and love against the odds-- and the rules."
Please be warned that this book does contain some slight self harm.
Drowning Instinct starts out as Jenna is in the hospital, and then goes back to recap what had happened in her life up until that point. I found the lack of chapters refreshing. Instead, she talks into a tape recorder and each part is listed 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b and so on.
I couldn't stop reading it.
There were some interesting twists in the book that made it seem so much more real.
I hope you guys don't mind that I (kind of) review books. I also hope to spread the word about some of my favorite movies as well!

No comments:
Post a Comment