Friday, December 07, 2012
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
We Need To Talk About Kevin
By Lionel Shriver
Hey everyone! I have a new book recommendation but it will not be suitable for all ages of readers.
I was checking a group on Facebook where someone was asking for books that contained drugs, sex, death etc.
We Need To Talk About Kevin was recommended by a couple people so when I went to the library, I specifically sought it out.
I'd recommend this book for older readers, 16+ because it's long and has some vulgarity. The topic of this book is also extremely difficult- school shootings.
The subject of this book is death and murder. Written in Kevin's mother's perspective as letters to her husband, one year after Thursday, We Need To Talk About Kevin is an emotional roller coaster.
The book starts out well, Eva Khatchadourian and Franklin Plaskett are married and in love. Then Kevin is born and things start to go downhill.
The summary states:
"Eva never really wanted to be a mother- and certainly not the mother of a boy who ends up murdering seven of his fellow high school students, a cafeteria worker, and a much- adored teacher who tried to befriend him, all two days before his sixteenth birthday.
Now, two years later, it is time for her to come to terms with marriage, career, family, parenthood, and Kevin's horrific rampage, in a series of startlingly direct correspondences with her estranged husband, Franklin.
Uneasy with the sacrifices and social demotion of motherhood from the start, Eva fears that her alarming dislike for her own son may be responsible for driving him so nihilistically off the rails."
Throughout the novel, Eva makes references to many (real) school shootings in the late 1990s.
We Need To Talk About Kevin is also a movie, starring Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly.
It is rated R.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey! I tried to post on Saturday and it did not take! Now here I go again cause I do not want to be a quitter!
ReplyDeleteThe Kevin story seems very very sad, and I wonder if it would bum me out to try and get through this- knowing that it is real.
Here is the question- Can a person read a book, read an article, see a movie, etc. and not be influenced by it? Where do we put our feelings and the impact of a very sad, tragic event inside ourselves? That is what I want to know so that it will not hurt me later on.
We Need To Talk About Kevin is a fictional piece of work. However, there are many references to school shootings that happened in the late 1990s such as Columbine.
Delete